Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Most Comforting Words


A lot of people turn to Psalm 23 in times of need. When you're going through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, it really speaks to you. But I like the other most recited New Testament verse in those times.

Thy will be done [in earth] as it is in heaven.

The fact that His will is done in heaven is even more comforting than to know that He is with me in the shadow of death. Some day, there will be no shadow of death. There will be no shadow at all.

The other comforting thing is to know that His will isn't always being done here on earth. Why would he have us pray, "Thy will be done on earth" if it's already being done on earth? I can know certain things from this.

I can know that the suffering my dad went through in the last stages of leukemia, the injustice or corruption in some shady government deal, the drug dealer who preys on my kids, the bribe under the table, the tortured child, the hurricane that wiped out a city, the massacre of innocents, the horrendous car/train wreck killing a family of four, the starving child on the reservation and the serial killer are not God's will. It's a comforting thought to know that.

Why
He allows things not His will to be done is a question for theologians, but I have His words in the Lord's Prayer telling me to pray that His will be done on earth, and that's enough for me.

0 comments: