Sunday, May 24, 2009

Choices


Mulling over Proverbs 22, after Pastor Joe's message this morning, and I noticed the issue of choice in the first verse: A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches. I never really thought of either of these as a choice. I never thought, "I think I'll establish a good name," or, "I think I'll earn a billion dollars over the next several years."


Still the everyday choices we make establish our names, our reputations. And I can't help wondering if at some time in your life you'll be offered a choice between the two: good name or riches? You might fudge a little here, compromise your ethics there, cheat a bit here and there for great riches. Or you might give up a chance here, refuse to cave into temptation there, avoid a compromising situation here and there and pass up great riches.


If so, these are little, daily choices that add up to big ones. You have to step back and look at your life over time to see what your choices added up to.


Lots to think about in those passages.

0 comments: