Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lost in Aisle 3


I looked down at my shopping cart after picking up a carton of orange juice at Target today and noticed about fifty pairs of shoes. There was no place for the orange juice. I realiced immediately that way back in the shoe aisle, I must have inadvertently left my own cart and picked up a cart that workers were using to restock the shoe aisle.

Ever since, I'd been wandering through Target with a cart full of shoes, looking like Imelda Marcos on a shopping spree.

It occurred to me that I've done this a time or two spiritually. Somehow, I've left my walk with God in Aisle Three and wandered off, laden with all kinds of useless pursuits. Only later will something (the Holy Spirit?) jar my consciousness with the realization that I am in the wrong place, rolling the wrong cart with the wrong cargo.

I was able to wheel all the shoes back to their proper place and pick up my cart again with only minor embarrassment. With spiritual detours, though, sometimes the embarrassment, and downright humilation, can be pointed.

Jesus said we'd have to give account for every idle word we speak. Idle words, not dangerous or harmful words, though we'll probably have to explain those, too. But in idleness much wrong can be done, even without realizing it.

No wonder he tells us to watch, and to be wise as serpents and to be vigilant.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job. I need to take more time to check out this blog. Good stuff!
Monie Motis