Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Driving the opposite way


by Sharon Jones

Thought I would share about my experience driving on the "wrong" side of the road. It was the first weekend we were here (South Africa)the director and his wife - Clint and Becky - let us borrow their car. Now of course here they drive
on the left side of the road and the driver sits on the right side of the
car. Their car is also a stick - but you shift with your left hand.

I was talking to Becky the night before we were leaving and she realized
that I had never driven on the left side of the road before, or driven
with the stick on the left side.

I told her. "If I can't get out of the driveway we won't go."

"Fair enough." she said.

That night I was a bit nervous and prayed quite a bit for a safe drive and
then as I went to bed I got a bit of a panic attack at the thought of driving. I prayed again. Then I got a very clear thought. I am sure it was from God! (SMILE)

The thought was - "IF I WAS ON THE AMAZING RACE THEY WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM LETTING ME DRIVE A STICK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD!" I held on to that thought and went to bed.

The next morning I got the keys and then when I drove it up near our home
- I didn't kill it once! We got safely to the mall and back again. Tony
did have to remind me once to get to the left side - but it was only
because I was turning around because we took a wrong turn.

Maybe I am ready for the Amazing Race. Hmmm.

Now Tony has his own story about his first experience driving on the left
side of the road.

He will have to share that sometime as well.

0 comments: