Thursday, February 5, 2009

News from South Africa




Thought I would send you all a hello from South Africa! We are doing well and getting use to our little house. We hope that you are all doing well also! We are in the second day of our training here though we have been here a week. The official kick off was this past Sunday. Our days right now are spent in classes going over the basics of life here on base and getting to know the other people in the training. There are people here from all over South Africa as well as Europe and Australia also a lot of South Koreans and one girl from Hong Kong. The ages range from 17 to 44. With the main age being around 18 and 19. So we are one of the old ones. Wesley is really enjoying hanging out out with all the guys. The challenge of course is doing this with the kids as I need to keep them busy doing things while we are in class. They are able to be right next door playing and doing some "school" work while we are in the meetings. Lucy loves walking around the base and so she is already tired of the lecture hall. Pray that we are able to find things that keep her interest. One thing that has helped is that in the afternoons she has a little ride on toy that is brought out for her to ride and play on. Even Irina finds that interesting.
Pray that Irina would begin to like some of the food that is served. She really didn't eat enough last week to satisfy this mommy. She is doing better this week - eating more fruit. She really is hard to feed - she was in the states and here I have less control. The kids were a bit sick last week and Saturday - they just were not eating enough I think and then with jet lag and the new environment = Irina still looks too pale - but it might be because those that have been here for awhile have a nice healthy tan instead of this pale South Dakota winter skin. They are doing much better today. I can give a list to the kitchen guy what he should try to have occasionally and he will get it for me so they are very accommodating here. They are going to get us a ref so that we have a place to put snacks and can keep Lucy's milk cold without having to go to the kitchen which is locked in the evenings. They did get us a key to that as well. Though having a ref to get our water cold will be a real luxary! I never thought I would say that. Smile.
Really the people here are so great they are very welcoming and I know that we make things a bit of a challenge with three kids - this is the most they have ever had at one time.
Our first outreach will not be until March 19th - this will be to a rural village in northern South Africa. In an area with no running water and we will be camping. Pray that there is a Pastor that might have ref that we could put Lucy's milk. I am told I don't have to go the full time of two weeks - but I would really like to be able to be there for as long as possible. My plan right now is to plan to be there the full two weeks, but that I will give myself the ability to return after a week if the kids need it. The good thing is that we eat a lot of peanut butter on an outreach as it is very portable and is a good source of protein. They also eat something called - Pop = not the drink - but a porridge that reminds me of Malto Meal. Really just cream of wheat. It is a staple here in South Africa. We had it several times already - they have it for any meal thinner at breakfast and thicker for Lunch and dinner. You just top it with different things. It really is pretty good with some honey in it. I even put some peanut butter in it with the honey and Lucy really loved it.
A few non ministry goals I have - is to touch the Indian Ocean and to see some wild animals. They are not running wild everywhere. We will be near a big state park on our rural outreach so maybe at that time we can go on a Safari. I am told that for foreigners it is not too expensive. They charge more if you are from SA - which I thought was kind of strange. Liz will find out how much that might be. Anyway - the first thing Wesley said was that he wanted to see some animals.
I'll let you know when I see something interesting. A praying mantis did land on my arm and scare me half to death! Oh and dung beetles are huge and quite disgusting.
I hope this finds you all doing wonderful!
Much Love - time for bed for me!



Sharon

0 comments: